As a petite woman I was always told to stay away from certain prints, broad horizontal stripes being one pattern at the top of that list. But I have found that as long as the fit is correct, one can wear anything. Especially when it’s a print you love. And I happen to find strong, sideways stripes both appealing to the eye and flattering to the body. Here’s to yet another fashion myth debunked. Now bring on the thick, unapologetic stripes!
1. Stella McCartney Cropped Top: This surprisingly flattering tube top is so sick, I have it in two colors! It looks equally good with oversized blazers, cropped moto jackets, and high-waisted anything. On Farfetch for $370.
2. DSquared2 Striped Cotton-Canvas Clutchicon: Trust me on this: black and white stripes never get old. With DSquared2’s unyielding sense of fun, courtesy of studded, lime-green trim, this bitty box feels particularly fresh. On Luisa via Roma for $440.
3. Marni Asymmetric-Hem Striped Top (on MATCHESFASHION.com for $972)
4. Stella McCartney Slide Platform Sandals (on My Theresa for $650)
5. Chloé Striped Ayers Wedge Sandals: Chloé’s stripes go in both directions, and in textural snakeskin, I want to wear these sculptural sandals with just about everything. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,265.
6. Proenza Schouler Medium Bucket Striped Leather Shoulder Bag: Bold these lines are, but Proenza’s neutral mash-up of suede plus pebbled and smooth leather is highly versatile and deceptively subtle. On My Theresa for $1,396.
7. Tibi Escalante Striped Silk Culottes: A full-culotte silhouette plus multi-directional stripes might sound like recipe for kookiness, but in Tibi’s case it’s a win-win situation. On NET-A-PORTER for $795.